Welcome Home Carter

On Wednesday, June 17th Carter Jamison Gunn entered the world at 5:30 pm, weighing 6 lbs. 10 oz. and measuring 19 1/2 inches long.
We are so glad he his here, and I am so glad not to be pregnant anymore. The last two months have been miserable. My doctor went out of down on the 1st of June and returned on the 16th. He had me visit a Nurse Practitioner who was nice but just not the same as seeing Dr. Swift. ( He know’s me, my history and my family.)
So I had an appointment to see him on the 17th and was hoping we could set a day at time to get my baby here.
Wednesday morning at 5:00 AM I woke up suddenly, because my water had broken. Adam and I rushed to the hospital. (cassandra was nice enough to come over at be with the kids.) The hospital was full and they were expecting a very busy day. They stuck us in a little room. (Rooms for people they aren’t sure are staying.) They hooked me up to the monitors. I wasn’t having any more contractions then usual so I started to worry that maybe my water didn’t break. I maybe had an accident. The nurse checked me and said she didn’t think my water had broke. She kept me there for an hour to monitor me. My contractions started to come more frequently and last longer. She checked me again. I hadn’t dialated any more in the hour I was there so they sent me home. They couldn’t admit me and start me on Pitocin unless I was already in active labor.
We got home around 7:30 AM. The contractions were now coming every 3-5 min. I was hoping my Dr. would have good news at my appointment. Adam went to work and KEri took me to my Dr.’s at 11 AM. I was dialated to a 4 and turns out my water had in fact broken that morning. He sent us to the hospital.
By the time I was in a room and hooked up to all the monitors it was about 1 pm. I was now dialated to a 5. ( The farthest I have ever gotten on my own before.) They started Pitocin soon after that and I got an epidural around 3 pm.
Anyway, the epidural didn’t take and around 4 pm my contractions were coming faster and becoming very strong. There was no time to redo the epidural so I ended up feeling everything. Adam was a great support, I think I severely bruised his hand. My mom was there and helped with breathing and focusing. I probably would have passed out.
Sorry, for such a long boring post. I just needed to document things before I forget. Here are some pictures to make up for it.

3 Responses to “Welcome Home Carter”

  1. What a cutie! Congratulations!

    P.S. I never find labor/pregnancy stories boring.

  2. Congrats! Why does everyone else’s pregnancy’s seem to just fly by? We love the name.

  3. What a beautiful little boy. I’m so happy for you all. Congratulations and I hope you are getting some much deserved help and rest after such a trying delivery!